Among the things that are almost always on our shopping list and of course in our kitchen are avocados. The reason? They are just amazing! Their dense, buttery flavor and their great nutritional value combined with their creamy texture makes them the most suitable and at the same time nutritious and healthy ingredients in countless vegan recipes.
Our favorite vegan, avocado dish is vegan tzatziki made with the flesh of ripe avocados, a recipe we enjoy quite often especially during summer, as well as the Greek salad with avocado. And since we love desserts, if we have plenty ripe avocados we use them in the most delicious way, making a delicate vegan chocolate avocado mousse that melts in the mouth and is 100% raw or a delectable chocolate vegan ice cream but also the raw vegan chocolate tart with avocado and coconut.
I am sure that each of you, at least those who love this particular fruit, will have at least one favorite vegan recipe based on avocados and I am sure that if we’ d put them together they would be hundreds! Such amazing fruit it is and I feel so grateful that it grows in our country as well!
Today, we combined a few ripe avocados with chickpeas and herbs to make a delicious, cool, rich, creamy salad, perfect for sandwiches or to accompany our meal. Here the avocados act as a «buttery» sauce that binds the materials together, extracts their aromas, highlights their flavors. The recipe is simple and fast. Just do not forget to mash the avocado with lemon and apple-cider vinegar to retain its fresh color.
(for 2-4 persons)
for the salad
- 1 + 1/4 cup boiled and drained chickpeas
- 1 celery sprig cleaned and chopped
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley finely chopped
- 1 fresh onion finely chopped
- 2-3 tbsp pickled cucumber finely chopped
for the sauce
- 1 ripe medium sized avocado, peeled
- juice of 1/2 juicy lemon
- 1 tbsp apple-cider vinegar
- 1/2 – 1 tsp salt
- freshly ground pepper
- optionally you can add a garlic clove finely chopped and 2-3 drops of tabasco sauce
- 8 slices of whole wheat bread, toasted
- 1 tbsp parsley finely chopped
1. Add the avocado flesh, lemon juice, apple-cider vinegar, salt and pepper in the blender and blend on medium speed until creamy.
2. With a fork mash the 1 cup of the chickpeas just a little bit, until all the chickpeas are crushed but not pureed. It’s nice to have some bigger pieces in the end. Keep the rest (1/4 cup) to garnish your salad.
3. In a bowl, mix all ingredients and taste in lemon and salt. Leave the salad in the refrigerator covered for at least one hour to cool, so that the aromas and tastes compine. Before you put it on the table garnish with the rest of the chickpeas and parsley.
4. Bake thin slices of bread and serve with the salad as an appetizer or make delicious sandwiches!