Since I became vegan I also became obsessed with nut butters! One of my favorites is almond butter and especially when I bought a proper food processor and I started making my own nut butters we often enjoy this one, although it takes a little more patience in order to make it. For this recipe, I use as fresh as possible, raw almonds and I toast them slightly for 5 minutes. Toasting will release their flavors and will facilitate the whole process.
One of the spices that I like to add in my almond butter to spice up things is cinnamon. Toasted almonds together with cinnamon bring to my mind homemade, traditional desserts every time I open the jar!
- 2 ½ cup (350 g) raw, peeled almonds
- 1 tbsp raw cane brown sugar or coconut sugar (optional)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or sunflower-seed oil
- Spread the almonds in a baking pan and toast for 5 minutes at 180 ° C.
- While still hot pour in the food processor bowl. You need to use the attachment with the blades.
- Add the olive oil and start processing at medium speed for 5 to 10 minutes cleaning with a spatula the sides of the bowl. When this mixture starts to become creamy add the cinnamon and the sugar and continue processing for a few minutes until it becomes smooth and creamy.
- Transfer into sterilized, airtight jar and let it cool completely. Cover with the lid and keep in the refrigerator.